Monday, January 18, 2010

The Manila Adventure

I'm proud to say that Manila is a nice place. Especially Quiapo and I wished for a moment that I lived in the old times. Everything that is essential for a Filipino is there! From furniture to costumes, name it, you’ll surely find it. The downside though is that the place is congested with informal vendors and of course, ordinary people who are there to do their own business. I'm afraid also of snatchers. But I think that a long time ago, it's a peaceful and "marketable" place.

I went there yesterday (with my good friend, Margz) to interview a fortune teller for my research paper but to do that, I need to avail of their service first. When we reached Plaza Miranda, the bunch of mass goers and vendors overwhelmed me. Then I saw the line of fortune tellers immediately but was hesitant to approach them. For some reason I got nervous. Then I composed myself and read again the set of questions I prepared. When I was ready, that was the time I saw this peculiar old lady with a very strange make up and headdress. She caught my attention immediately and sensed that she’ll be a good scoop so I walked towards her post.

Then the fortune telling begins. She asked me first if I have a boyfriend (or husband for that matter), I answered “wala po”. Asked me if I have a job, I said “wala po”. She asked, “estudyante?” I said “nag-aaral po ulit”. Then while shuffling the tarot cards, she said: “pag-aagwan ka ng dalawang lalaki”. I can’t LOL big time because for her, I think, that was some serious shit. I just blurted: “talaga po?” She also told me to that I will become successful that a lot of people will envy me and tried to offer me a charm to protect me from it but of course, I said no. She also suggested that I should live with the guy first before getting married to get to know him “better”. I said to myself: what the fuck? But I didn’t mean it to be offensive or what, it was so funny that I have run out of words. She told me a lot of things then I told her if could interview her for my research paper. Without dilly-dallying, she told me her name as if she is so used to those kinds of things. After telling me things that I’m not sure if they were true, I asked her what she can say to me as a conclusion. She said that I’m smart and I will reach my dreams. When we bid her goodbye, she said: God bless. Ironic isn’t it?

Since Margz was not feeling well and due to lack of funds, we just decided to go to their home for lunch. It was the feast of Sto. Nino in their baranggay and her mom also invited me, along with Tom and Chiko (but Chiko didn’t wasn’t able to join us because of some domestic issue). I was also hoping that I can join some “palaro” like “basagan ng palayok” but I guess I’m too old for that. Heh.

After lunch we decided to go to Manila Museum since I’m also in the mood for Manila trip. It was Margz’s first time to visit the museum so I and Tom were so eager to give her a tour! Tho we don’t know the museum by heart! We went to the older building where Spolarium is kept. I’m so proud that we have many excellent artists!

After the museum tour, photo op outside the museum and walking at Luneta park, we headed to Robinson’s to watch Sherlock Holmes. There’s one thing I can say about the movie: I love the “love story” behind Holmes and Watson’s “friendship”. Loveet! Guy Ritchie redeemed himself in this movie. Thanks to Madonna I think?

No comments: